PR Card Renewals
If your permanent resident (PR) card is expired or will expire in less than 9 months, you can apply for a new card. The new card will have a new expiration date. Most new PR cards are valid for 5 years.
Who is Eligible for a PR Card Renewal?Individuals eligible to apply for Permanent Resident Card renewal must be permanent residents within Canada who would like to apply for:
- an initial (first) PR Card
- renewal of a PR Card that has or will soon expire or
- replacement of a PR Card that has been lost, stolen or damaged.
Eligibility Criteria for a Permanent Resident Card:The applicant
- must be a permanent resident of Canada
- must be physically present in Canada
- should not be under an effective removal order
- should not be a Canadian citizen or a registered Indian under the Indian Act, and
- should not be convicted of an offense related to the misuse of a Permanent Resident Card.