Canada offers citizenship through naturalization and by birth in Canada.
To qualify for citizenship through naturalization, Canadians with 3 years of qualifying permanent resident status during the preceding 5 years may apply for Canadian citizenship.
Canadian Citizenship Requirements
- Been physically present in Canada for at least 183 days during any of the three qualifying calendar years that are fully or partially within the five years immediately before you apply
- Have met any applicable requirement under the Income Tax Act to file income taxes for any four taxation years that are fully or partially within the six years immediately before you apply
- Intend to reside in Canada OR work outside Canada in or with, or accompany certain family members employed in or with: the Canadian Armed Forces or the federal public administration or the public service of a province
- Be able to communicate (speak and understand) in English or French (if you are 65 years of age or older, this does not apply)
- Be able to demonstrate, in English or French, knowledge about Canada and the responsibilities and privileges of citizenship (if you are 65 years of age or older, this does not apply)
- 18 years old or older
- Have adequate knowledge of Citizenship Language Requirement, if under age 64